Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Spotter Scope Rides Again!

So, I got bored the other night and gutted the old spotter scope OTA and removed the primary mirror for cleaning. I then cleaned the mirror by flushing it with distilled water (using distilled water ensures no water spots when it dries) and LIGHTLY dabbing it with a wet cotton ball to dislodge any stubborn flecks of dust.

The results we good enough for government work, so I stored the optics in a sealed Glad container, like so many left-overs.

More amazingly though, the primary mirror mounting yoke came back from K & L Plating in AWESOME black anodizing shape!














So, the next step was to attach the mirror. I accomplished this by carefully measuring and centering the mirror and masking the edge with tape. I then coated the exposed area with Silicone II and placed three equidistant spacers to hold the mirror slightly above the yoke, and I pressed it lightly into the goo to dry (which it thankfully did overnight). The result was spiffy and quite rigid.














 

At the end, it was ready to go, so I stored it again in the Glad box which waiting for the main tube to get back from the anodizing shop in York.

Once it is finished, I can chase all the threads out again and conclude the final tube assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment